30 December 2012

A time for reflection

I just love the last couple of weeks of December! Lots of little lights, nice food, cheery people and lots and lots of days off (always a good thing). I have been taking it easy in the last week which left me plenty of time to reflect on the past months and year. I'd set myself one goal for 2012 and that was to open my Etsy shop. And yes, I made it! With even a month to spare ;-)

It started in the beginning of the year. Around april or so with a screenprinting Etsy Lab at Pini Piru's workshop. I loved it and I loved the people. Just the fact that I didn't even have to pay for it or own an Etsy shop to be part of the Etsy Lab. That's real love of and determination about moving the Handmade movement forward. Basically it planted a seed and that seed started to grow when I was discovering more and more about Etsy. I knew for a long while that I really wanted to start designing again. Years ago I used to do all sorts in the creative field. I've been to fashion college and after that interior design. I used to work as an interior stylist for the dutch equivalent of the BBC tv show 'Changing rooms' and the US 'Trading Spaces' ('In Holland staat een huis') and worked for a few years as a video editor. But I gave it all up to travel the world. During one of them travels I met my boyfriend and moved to the UK. Being in the UK it was hard to find work let alone work that I actually liked. So I ended up in IT and even though I'm back in the Netherlands (yes, still with my english boyfriend and an extra lovely little addition, our son ;-) I still work in IT.

Photo taken from EtsyNL's facebook album


That's been ok for all those years but in the last year I finally reached that point that it wasn't enough anymore and when I was introduced into Etsy I knew that's what I had to do! And so I did. I started designing, I went to the Hello Etsy event and was inspired by so many nice people. Even though Etsy is an online community, meeting them in real life really show how passionate these people are about handmade things and how keen they are to help each other out. It felt like a warm bath!

A few weeks later my own Etsy shop opened! That's exactly 1 month ago today!

No comments:

Post a Comment